Colonel Jay S. Carlson is commander of the 5th Mission Support Group at Minot Air Force Base, N.D. He is the senior leader and manager of support activities necessary to maintain the combat readiness of all units assigned to the base. Units assigned to the 5th Mission Support Group include the 5th Civil Engineer Squadron, 5th Communications Squadron, 5th Mission Support Squadron, 5th Security Forces Squadron, 5th Services Squadron, 5th Logistics Readiness Squadron and 5th Contracting Squadron.
Colonel Carlson earned his commission in 1981 after graduating from the Air Force Reserve Officer Training Corps program at Norwich University, Vt. He started his Air Force career as a missile combat crew member where he was a senior flight commander and alternate wing command post commander. After completing the Education with Industry program he served as a contract manager for the F-16 and contracting officer for the Global Positioning System at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio and Los Angeles Air Force Base, Calif., respectively. He has served on Air Staff, as a squadron commander and most recently as the Air Combat Command Contracting Squadron commander.
Colonel Carlson deployed in 2006 to Southwest Asia as the 64th Expeditionary Group commander in support of operations Iraqi Freedom and Enduring Freedom.
1981 Associate’s degree, criminal justice, Vermont College, Vt.
1981 Bachelor’s degree, government studies, Norwich University, Vt.
1988 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1990 Master’s degree, business and systems administration, Central Michigan University
1995 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2002 Air War College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1. November 1981 - March 1982, student, Minuteman ICBM initial qualification training, Vandenberg Air Force Base, Calif.
2. March 1982 - June 1986, senior flight commander/alternate command post commander, 12th Strategic Missile Squadron, Malmstrom Air Force Base, Mont.
3. August 1986 - June 1987, Education with Industry student, Air Force Institute of Technology, Hughes Aircraft Company, Tucson, Ariz.
4. July 1987 - September 1991, F-16 contracts manager, Aeronautical Systems Division, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio
5. September 1991 - July 1994, chief, user equipment contracts branch, NAVSTAR Global Positioning System , Space and Missile Center, Los Angeles Air Force Base, Calif.
6. August 1994 - June 1995, student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
7. June 1995 - June 1998, contracting staff officer, Deputy Assistant Secretary of the Air Force (Contracting), Washington, D.C.
8. July 1998 - June 2001, commander, 18th Contracting Squadron, Kadena Air Base, Japan.
9. August 2001 - June 2002, student, Air War College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
10. June 02 - June 2004, commander, Air Combat Command Contracting Squadron, Langley Air Force Base, Va.
11. June 2004 - present, commander, 5th Mission Support Group, Minot Air Force Base, N.D.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS:
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal
Joint Service Achievement Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal
Combat Readiness Medal
Global War on Terrorism-Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism-Service Medal
National Defense Service Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION:
Second lieutenant May 23, 1981
First lieutenant Aug. 15, 1983
Captain Aug. 15, 1985
Major Jan. 1, 1994
Lieutenant colonel June 1, 1998
Colonel Feb. 1, 2004