Private Weapons Registration
By Staff Sgt. Eli Smith , 5th Bomb Wing Public Affairs
/ Published July 06, 2018
MINOT AIR FORCE BASE, N.D. --
All Minot Air Force Base residents who own firearms are required to register them with the 5th Security Forces Squadron. The simple process involves two forms and a quick stop at the base armory.
Not registering your guns within three days of moving onto base or purchasing a new weapon could also result in an Article 92 under the UCMJ.
According to Staff Sgt. Jeremy Homan, 5th SFS NCO in charge of police services, it’s important for SFS to know what weapons are stored in each house for the safety and security of the base and personnel.
Additionally, any weapons belonging to a civilian living on base are the responsibility of that person’s military sponsor, who should register the weapon as if it were their own. Civilians living on base but not affiliated with a sponsor or chain of command are required to register their firearms directly through the armory.
Below are simple steps on how to follow proper procedure.
To register your weapon with the armory:
- Fill out AF Form 1314 Firearms Registration. All information must be typed and the form signed with a “wet” signature. Click here for AF Form 1314.
- Fill out DD Form 2760 Qualification to Possess Firearms or Ammunition. This form can be handwritten or typed and is available here.
- Turn in both forms, completed and signed, to your unit commander’s support staff and the 5th SFS Armory located in building 547 on Tanker Trail.
Here are a few key points to remember as you get started:
- Dorm residents and anyone residing in on-base Lodging are required to store their guns and ammo at the armory or off base.
Contact the 5th SFS Armory at (701) 723-6568 or police services at (701) 723-4434 for more information.
- Register your weapons within three days of moving onto base or purchasing a new firearm.