Colonel Michael D. Maginness is Vice Commander of the 5th Bomb Wing, Minot Air Force Base, N.D. As Vice Commander, he is responsible for the health and welfare of roughly 4,900 active duty members, 500 civilian employees, and 6,000 family members. He also assists with overseeing operations involving the wing's fleet of B-52H bombers to provide deterrence and long-range strike capability for combatant command operations worldwide.
2001 Bachelor of Science Degree in Political Science, Texas A&M University, College Station
2002 U.S. Air Force Officer Training School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala. (Distinguished Graduate)
2009 U.S. Air Force Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala. (Distinguished Graduate)
2010 U.S. Air Force Weapons School, Nellis AFB, Nev. (Distinguished Graduate)
2012 Master of Arts Degree in American Military History, American Military University, by correspondence
2013 National Technical Fellowship Program, Argonne Labs, Department of Energy (DOE), Chicago, Ill.
2014 Master of Arts Degree in Military Operational Art, School of Advanced Warfighting (ASG), Quantico Marine Corps Base,
2019 Master of Arts in National Security Strategy, National War College, Washington D.C.
1. January 2003-July 2003, Student Pilot, 479th Operations Support Squadron, Moody Air Force Base, Ga.
2. July 2003-April 2004, Student Pilot Phase Ill, 87th Flying Training Squadron, Laughlin AFB, Texas
3. April 2004-April 2005, Executive Officer, 85th Flying Training Squadron, Laughlin AFB, Texas
4. April 2005-March 2006, B-52H Instructor Pilot, 11th Bomb Squadron, Barksdale, AFB, La.
5. March 2006-May 2007, B-52H Pilot, 96th Bomb Squadron, Barksdale AFB, La.
6. May 2007-March 2008, B-52H Aircraft Commander and Flight Commander, 96th Bomb Squadron, Barksdale AFB, La.
7. March 2008-Jan 201 O; B-52H Instructor Pilot and Flight Commander, 96th Bomb Squadron, Barksdale AFB, La.
8. January 2010-June 2010. Weapons Undergraduate, 340th Weapons Squadron, Nellis AFB, Nev.
9. June 2010-January 2011, Weapons and Tactics Flight Commander, 20th Bomb Squadron, Barksdale AFB, La.
10. January 2011-June 2012, Mission Employment Flight Commander, 340th Weapons Squadron, Nellis AFB, Nev.
11. June 2012-June 2013, Aide-de-Camp to the Commander, Air Force Global Strike Command, Barksdale AFB, La.
12. June 2013-June 2014, Air Force Fellow, Argonne National Laboratory (DOE), Chicago, Ill.
13. June 2014-June 2015, Student, U.S. Marine Corps School of Advanced Warfighting, Quantico Marine Corps Base,
14. June 2015-May 2016, Director of Operations, 69th Bomb Squadron, Minot AFB, N.D.
15. May 2016-June 2018, Commander, 23d Bomb Squadron, Minot AFB, N.D.
16. June 2018-June 2019, Student, National War College, Ft. McNair, Washington D.C.
17. June 2019-June 2021, Assistant Deputy Director, J36 Nuclear and Homeland Defense Operations, the Joint Staff, the
Pentagon, Washington D.C.
18. June 2021-Present, Vice Commander, 5th Bomb Wing, Minot AFB, N.D.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
June 2019-June 2021, Assistant Deputy Director, J36 Nuclear and Homeland Defense Operations, the Joint Staff, the
Pentagon, Washington D.C., as a colonel
Rating: Command Pilot
Flight hours: 3,500 including 373 combat hours
Aircraft flown: B-52H, T-38A, T-6A
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
2018 Curtis E. Lemay Award
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Dec. 20, 2002
First Lieutenant Dec. 20, 2004
Captain Dec. 20, 2006
Major Nov. 1, 2006
Lieutenant Colonel Jan. 1, 2012
Colonel Mar. 1, 2020
(Current as of June 2021)