Colonel Parker Northrup commands the 5th Operations Group at Minot Air Force Base, N.D. In his position, he leads 300 combat-ready professionals, and oversees agencies in charge of conventional and nuclear operations planning, deployment planning, tactics, training, standardization and evaluation, intelligence, air traffic control, weather, airfield management and life support.
Col. Northrup received his commission from the US Air Force Academy in 1988. He attended pilot training at Vance Air Force Base, Okla., and graduated in 1989. In 1990 he was assigned to Minot Air Force Base, N.D., where he was upgraded to instructor pilot in the B-52H before being assigned to 2nd Bomb Wing at Barksdale AFB, La., in 1995. During his time at Barksdale he performed instructor and evaluator duties in the 96th Bomb Squadron and worked conventional exercises and plans in the 2nd Operations Support Squadron. In 1998, Col Northrup was assigned to the Air Force Command and Control Training and Innovation Group at Hurlburt Field, Fla., as the chief of the commander's action group and director of plans and programs. Upon completion of Air Command and Staff College in 2001, he was assigned to Osan Air Base, Republic of Korea where he worked at Headquarters 7th Air Force on the Director of Operations' staff and in the Korean Air Operations Center. Following his assignment to 7th Air Force, Col Northrup attended the School of Advanced Air and Space Studies at Maxwell AFB, Ala., and was then assigned to Barksdale AFB, La., as the Director of Academics and then Commander of the 11th BS. He is a 2007 graduate of the National War College, Fort McNair, Washington, D.C. and a command pilot with over 3,500 flying hours.
1988 Bachelor of Science in Political Science, US Air Force Academy, Colo.
1998 Masters of Arts in Industrial/Organizational Psychology, Louisiana Technical University, La.
2000 Intermediate Information Warfare Course, National Defense Univ., Washington, D.C.
2001 Masters of Military Operational Art and Science, Air Command and Staff College
2003 Masters of Airpower Art and Science, School of Advanced Air & Space Studies
2007 Masters of Science in National Security Strategy, National War College, Washington, D.C.
Rating: Command pilot
Flight hours: More than 3,500
Aircraft flown: T-41, T-37, T-38, B-52G, B-52H
1. June 1988 - June 1989, student, Undergraduate Pilot Training, Vance AFB, Okla.
2. July 1989 - February 1990, student, B-52 combat crew training, Castle AFB, Calif.
3. March 1990 - May 1995, B-52H co-pilot, instructor co-pilot, standardization/evaluation co-pilot, aircraft commander, instructor pilot, 23rd Bomb Squadron, Minot AFB, N.D.
4. June 1995 - June 1997, chief, training element, weapons and tactics pilot, standardization and evaluation assistant flight commander, 96th Bomb Squadron, Barksdale AFB, La.
5. April 1997 - June 1998, wing exercise and airspace manager, 2nd Operations Support Squadron, Barksdale AFB, La.
6. June 1998 - June 2000, chief commander's action group, director of plans and programs, Air Force Command and Control Training and Innovation Group, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
7. August 2000 - June 2001, student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
8. July 2001 - June 2002, flight commander, AOC standardization/evaluation, training and systems, 607th Air Operations Group, Osan AB, Republic of South Korea.
9. July 2002 - June 2003, student, School of Advanced Air and Space Studies, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
10. July 2003 - June 2006, director of academics, commander, 11th Bomb Squadron, Barksdale AFB, La.
11. July 2006 - June 2007, student, National War College, Ft McNair, Washington, D.C.
12. July 2007 - present, commander, 5th Operations Group, Minot Air Force Base, N.D.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS:
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Recognition Ribbon with one oak leaf cluster Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION:
Second Lieutenant June 1, 1988
First Lieutenant June 1, 1990
Captain June 1, 1992
Major July 1, 1999
Lieutenant Colonel March 1, 2003
Colonel January 1, 2007
(Current as of August 2007)