Chief Master Sergeant Martin K. Smith is the Command Chief Master Sergeant, 5th Bomb Wing, Minot Air Force Base, N.D. As the wing's senior enlisted leader, Chief Smith is the primary advisor to the installation commander and on all matters concerning the health, welfare, morale, recognition, training, effective utilization, professional development and career progression of the base enlisted force. He represents the commander on numerous base and local agency councils, committees, boards, and at numerous military and civilian functions. In addition, he disseminates the commander's policies to all levels of senior officer and enlisted leadership at America's only dual-wing, nuclear-capable base.
Chief Smith grew up in Florissant, Mo. and entered the Air Force in June 1982. His background includes various duties in the Aerospace Control and Warning and First Sergeant career fields. His assignments include bases in Florida, Germany, South Carolina, Turkey, Iowa, Illinois, Nebraska, Ohio and Okinawa, Japan. He has deployed in support of Operations Southern and Northern Watch and to Southwest Asia in support of Operations Enduring and Iraqi Freedom.
1988 Tactical Air Command Noncommissioned Officer Leadership School, Shaw AFB, S.C.
1991 U.S. Air Forces in Europe Noncommissioned Officer Academy, RAF Upwood, United Kingdom
1994 Associates degree in applied science in airway science, Community College of the Air Force,
Maxwell AFB., Ala.
1995 First Sergeant Academy, Gunter AFB, Ala.
1997 Associate degree in applied science in human resource management/personnel administration,
Community College of the Air Force, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2001 Senior Noncommissioned Officer Academy, Gunter AFB, Ala.
2006 Center for Creative Leadership, San Diego, CA
2007 Gettysburg Leadership Experience, Gettysburg, Pennsylvania
1. June 1982 - July 1982, trainee, Basic Military Training, Lackland AFB, Texas
2. July 1982 - August 1982, student, Aerospace Control and Warning Course, Keesler AFB, Miss.
3. September 1982 - November 1984, Air Surveillance Operator/Weapons Control Technician, 23rd Air Defense Region, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
4. November 1984 - November 1987, Weapons Control Technician, 601st Tactical Control Squadron,
Pruem Air Station, West Germany
5. December 1987 - April 1990, Non commissioned officer in charge, Standardization and Evaluation
Weapons Section, 507th Tactical Air Control Wing, Shaw AFB, S.C.
6. April 1990 - April 1992, NCOIC, Watch Defensive Duty, 6th Allied Tactical Air Force, Izmir, Turkey
7. April 1992 - May 1995, Air Force Advisor, 133rd Air Control Squadron, Fort Dodge, Iowa
8. May 1995 - January 1998, First Sergeant, Headquarters Air Weather Service, 375th Maintenance
Squadron, Scott AFB, Ill. (February - June 1997, First Sergeant, 4404th (Provisional) Security Forces
Squadron, Prince Sultan Air Base, Saudi Arabia)
9. January 1998 - July 2001, First Sergeant, 12th Fighter Squadron, 18th Supply Squadron, Kadena AB,
Okinawa, Japan (November - December 1998, First Sergeant, 12th Fighter Squadron, Incirlik Air Base, Turkey)
10. July 2001 - May 2003, First Sergeant, 1st Airborne Command/Control Squadron, Offutt AFB, Neb.
11. May 2003 - June 2004, Group Superintendent and First Sergeant, 375th Operations Group, Scott AFB,
12. June 2004 - June 2006, Group Superintendent, 609th Air Operations Group, Shaw AFB, S.C (March - July 2005, Superintendent, Combined Air Operations Center, Al Udeid Air Base, Qatar)
13. June 2006 - August 2008, Command Chief Master Sergeant, 88th Air Base Wing, Air Force Materiel
Command, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
14. August 2008 - August 2009, Command Chief Master Sergeant, 380th Air Expeditionary Wing, Southwest Asia
15. August 2009 - Present, Command Chief Master Sergeant, 5th Bomb Wing, Minot AFB, ND
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with six oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Achievement Medal
Combat Readiness Medal
Air Force Good Conduct Medal with eight oak leaf clusters
National Defense Service Medal one bronze star
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal with one bronze star
Southwest Asia Service Medal with one bronze star
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Humanitarian Service Medal
1991 Distinguished Graduate, Noncommissioned Officers Academy, RAF Upwood, United Kingdom
2002 First Sergeant of the Year, 55th Wing, Offutt AFB, Nebraska
2008 Honorable Order of St. Barbara
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Airman December 2, 1982
Airman First Class June 2, 1983
Senior Airman June 2, 1985
Sergeant February 1, 1986
Staff Sergeant July 1, 1986
Technical Sergeant July 1, 1989
Master Sergeant July 1, 1992
Senior Master Sergeant May 1, 2000
Chief Master Sergeant June 1, 2004
(Current as of Sept. 2009)