Colonel Max Mitchell is currently the vice wing commander of the 5th Bomb Wing at Minot AFB, N.D. He is responsible for the health and welfare of roughly 4,900 active duty members, 500 civilian employees and 6,000 family members. He also assists with overseeing operations involving the wing's fleet of B-52H bombers providing rapid response, combat-ready force in support of United States Strategic Command and theater Combatant Command operations. Colonel Mitchell is a master navigator with over 3,700 flying hours, including 138 combat hours.
Colonel Mitchell was born in Dallas, TX. He was commissioned in 1989 upon graduation from Officer Training School. He has held various assignments in flying units in Air Combat Command including deployments in support of Operations ALLIED FORCE and ENDURING FREEDOM. He is a distinguished graduate of the US Air Force Weapons School. His joint staff assignment was to the Operations Plans Division, United States Central Command, MacDill AFB, Fla.
Colonel Mitchell recently completed a staff tour at Air Force Global Strike Command as chief, Programming Division, Barksdale AFB, La.
1987 Bachelor of Science in aerospace engineering, Texas A&M University, College Station, Texas
1996 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1999 Master of Aeronautical Science, Embry Riddle Aeronautical University, Shreveport La.
2003 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2003 Master of Military Operational Art and Science, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2005 Joint and Combined Staff Officer School, Armed Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va.
2006 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2010 Senior Developmental Education in residence, Los Alamos National Laboratory, N.M.
1. March 1989 - December 1989, student, Specialized Undergraduate Navigator Training, Mather AFB, Calif.
2. February 1990 - August 1990, student, B-52 Combat Crew Training School, Castle AFB, Calif.
3. August 1990 - December 1992, various positions, 20th Bomb Squadron, Carswell AFB, Texas
4. December 1992 - July 2002, various positions, 20th Bomb Squadron and 2nd Operations Support Squadron, Barksdale AFB, La.
5. July 2002 - June 2003, student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
6. June 2003 - July 2005, deputy chief, Force Management, Air and Force Management Planner, US Central Command, MacDill AFB, Fla.
7. July 2005 - July 2009, Commander, Director of Operations, 5th Operations Support Squadron, Chief of Safety, 5th Bomb Wing, Minot AFB, N.D.
8. July 2009 - July 2010, Air Force Fellow, Los Alamos National Laboratory, N.M.
9. July 2010 - June 2011, Chief, Programming Division, Air Force Global Strike Command, Barksdale AFB, La.
10. June 2011 - Present, vice Wing Commander, 5th Bomb Wing, Minot AFB, N.D.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Joint Service Commendation Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Navy Achievement Medal
Kosovo Campaign Medal
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Rating: Master Navigator
Flight hours: More than 3,700 (138 Combat)
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Mar. 17, 1989
First Lieutenant Mar. 17, 1991
Captain Mar. 17 ,1993
Major Jun. 1, 2000
Lieutenant Colonel Apr. 1, 2005
Colonel Jul. 1, 2010
(Current as of 26 July 2011)