Colonel Chris G. Cain the Commander of the 5th Operations Group, Minot Air Force Base, North Dakota where he trains disciplined, combat-ready Airmen and develops Air Force leaders, who supply B-52s while operating the world’s premier strategic airfield to provide lethal bomber firepower anytime, anywhere.
Colonel Cain entered the Air Force as a Distinguished Graduate of Officer Training School. He has performed nuclear operations and global strike in support of USSTRATCOM and has served in INDOPACOM as part of the Continuous Bomber Presence mission three times. Colonel Cain deployed in support of Operation ENDURING FREEDOM and Operation IRAQI FREEDOM and later led combat operations as an Operations Officer then later Commander during Operation INHERENT RESOLVE and Operation FREEDOM SENTINEL. In his most recent operational assignment he served as a B- 52H Bomb Squadron Commander where his leadership culminated in the 96th Bomb Squadron earning the General Walker Award for “Best Bomber Squadron” in Air Force Global Strike Command in 2018. Prior to his current position, Colonel Cain was the Branch Chief of Operations in the Information Environment on the Joint Staff J-5.
1997 Bachelor of Arts in History, Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge
2007 Weapons Instructor Course, Barksdale AFB, La.
2008 Squadron Officer School, resident and non-resident course (Top Third Graduate), Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2010 Master of Business Administration, Mississippi State University, Starkville
2013 Master of Military Operational Art and Science, Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2013 Air Command and Staff College, resident and non-resident course, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2019 National Defense Fellow, Department of State, Washington, D.C.
1. November 2001– September 2002, Undergraduate Navigator Training, Randolph AFB, Texas
2. September 2002 – April 2003, B-52 formal training unit, Navigator, Barksdale AFB, La.
3. May 2003 – December 2007, 96th Bomb Squadron, Navigator, Adjutant then Instructor Navigator and Flight Scheduler, Barksdale AFB, La.
4. January 2008 – July 2009, 20th Bomb Squadron, Assistant then Weapons and Tactics Flight Commander, Barksdale AFB, La.
5. July 2009 – January 2010, 2nd Operations Support Squadron, Group Plans Flight Commander, Barksdale AFB, La.
6. February 2010 – January 2011, Air Force Global Strike Command, A-1, Assistant Chief, Senior Leader Management, Barksdale AFB, La.
7. January 2011– June 2012, Air Force Global Strike Command, Executive Officer to the Vice Commander, Barksdale AFB, La.
8. July 2012- June 2013, Student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
9. June 2013- April 2015, Chief, Bomber, Nuclear Programs and Science and Technology, Legislative Liaison, Office of the Secretary of the Air Force, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
10. May 2015-August 2015, B-52 formal training unit, Requalification WSO, Barksdale AFB, La.
11. September 2015-June 2016, Operations Officer, 20th Bomb Squadron, Barksdale AFB, La.
12. June 2016-June 2018, Commander, 96th Bomb Squadron, Barksdale AFB, La.
13. June 2018-May 2019, National Defense Fellow, Department of State, Washington, D.C.
14. May 2019-May 2021, Special Assistant to the Chairman, Joint Chiefs of Staff, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
15. June 2021-June 2022, Branch Chief OIE, DD-Strategic Stability, Information Integrations Division, J-5, Joint Chiefs of Staff, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
16. June 2022 – Present, Commander, 5th Operations Group, Minot AFB, N.D.
Rating: Master Navigator
Flight hours: 2,600
Aircraft flown: B-52H
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters Air Medal
Aerial Achievement Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with one oak leaf cluster Air Force Achievement Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Air Force Meritorious Unit Award with one oak leaf cluster
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with four oak leaf clusters Combat Readiness Medal with one oak leaf cluster
National Defense Service Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal Humanitarian Service Medal with one bronze star Nuclear
Deterrence Operations Service Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Nov.15, 2001
First Lieutenant Nov. 15, 2003
Captain Nov. 15, 2005
Major Nov. 1, 2011
Lieutenant Colonel Jan. 1, 2016
Colonel April 1, 2021
(Current as of March 2022)