Colonel Jason Armagost is commander of the 5th Bomb Wing, Minot Air Force Base, N.D. He is responsible for providing combat-ready B-52H Stratofortress aircraft, crews, and associated combat support for deterrence, crisis response, global power projection, major theater war and maritime operations and Air and Space Expeditionary Force deployments. He also serves as the installation commander.
Colonel Armagost graduated from the United States Air Force Academy and was commissioned in 1992. He has flown numerous combat missions in the F-16CJ and the B-2A. He commanded the 13th Bomb Squadron at Whiteman AFB and prior to his assignment as Vice Commander, 36th Wing, he served as Chief of the Joint Staff's Nuclear Operations Division and as an Alternate Deputy Director for Operations in the National Military Command Center.
Colonel Armagost is a command pilot with more than 2,600 hours in the B-2A, F-16CJ, F-16CG, B-52H, and T-38A. Prior to his current position, the colonel was the vice commander, 36th Wing, Andersen AFB, Guam.
1992 Bachelor of Science degree in English, United States Air Force Academy, Colo.
1998 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2005 Master of Arts degree in Counseling and Leadership Development, University of Colorado, Colo. and Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2011 Air Force Fellow, Center for International Security and Cooperation, Stanford University, Calif.
1. August 1992 - January 1993, liaison, Colorado Division of Wildlife, United States Air Force
2. February 1993 - June 1994, student, Euro-NATO Joint Jet Pilot Training, and Introduction to Fighter
Fundamentals, Sheppard AFB, Texas
3. July 1994 - March 1995, student, F-16 Fighter Training, 308th Fighter Squadron, Luke AFB, Ariz.
4. April 1995 - February 1998, F-16CJ Flight Lead, Scheduler, and Weapons and Tactics Officer, 13th
Fighter Squadron, Misawa AB, Japan
5. March 1998 - May 1998, student, T-38 Pilot Instructor Training, 560th Flying Training Squadron,
Randolph AFB, Texas
6. June 1998 - October 1999, T-38 Instructor Pilot, Assistant Flight Commander, and Chief of
Scheduling, 50th Flying Training Squadron, Columbus AFB, Miss.
7. November 1999 - March 2004, B-2 and T-38 Instructor Pilot and Evaluator, Chief of Survivability,
Weapons, and Tactics, Flight Commander, and Assistant Director of Operations, 509th Bomb Wing,
Whiteman AFB, Mo.
8. April 2004 - May 2005, student, Air Force Institute of Technology, University of Colorado, Colo.
9. June 2005 - June 2007, Air Officer Commanding, Cadet Squadron 31, United States Air Force
10. July 2007 - June 2008, Director of Operations, 509th Operations Support Squadron,
Whiteman AFB, Mo.
11. June 2008 - July 2010, Commander, 13th Bomb Squadron, Whiteman AFB, Mo.
12. August 2010 - July 2011, Air Force Fellow, Center for International Security and Cooperation,
Stanford University, Calif.
13. August 2011 - June 2013, Chief, Nuclear Operations Division, Joint Staff, J-36, Pentagon,
14. July 2013 - July 2014, Vice Commander, 36th Wing, Andersen AFB, Guam
15. July 2014 - Present, Commander, 5th Bomb Wing, Minot AFB, N.D.
Rating: Command Pilot
Flight hours: 2667 hours, 240 combat hours
Aircraft flown: B-2A, F-16CJ, F-16CG, B-52H, T-38A
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal
Joint Meritorious Unit Award
Meritorious Unit Award
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with three oak leaf clusters
Combat Readiness Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 27, 1992
First Lieutenant May 27, 1994
Captain May 27, 1996
Major Dec. 1, 2002
Lieutenant Colonel Aug. 1, 2007
Colonel Jun. 1, 2012
(Current as of July 2014)