Colonel (Dr.) Roosevelt Allen is the commander of the 5th Medical Group and director of base medical services at Minot AFB, N.D. As the base's senior medical official, he supervises and directs the use of base medical resources in support of the 5th Bomb Wing and 91st Space Wing, provides and arranges for cost-effective, high-quality medical services through Department of Defense or civilian channels and ensures the base's medical staff is appropriately trained.
Colonel Allen received a direct commission in 1986. He has been a clinician, educator, commander and advocate for dentistry at various assignments throughout his military career He served as Chief of the East Coast Port Mortuary Forensic Dental Service while at Dover AFB, Del. A strong advocate for organized dentistry and dental education, Colonel Allen was one of two elected delegates to his profession's national organization - the American Dental Association, representing over 600 Air Force dentists from 2004-2006.
A dental readiness proponent, Colonel Allen deployed to Senegal, West Africa, in support of MEDFLAG, a humanitarian mission. Colonel Allen has led or participated in remains identification of fallen comrades from the US Kenyan and Tanzanian embassies terrorist bombings, the Arizona MV-22 Osprey crash, and the USS Cole terrorist bombing. He was chief of dental services while deployed to Turkey for Operation Provide Comfort and Saudi Arabia for Operation Southern Watch.
1982 Magna cum laude graduate, Bachelor of Art degree, Lincoln University, Pa.
1986 Doctor of Dental Surgery, Howard University College of Dentistry, Washington D. C.
1992 Air Command and Staff College via seminar
1996 Residency in Advanced Comprehensive General Dentistry, Wilford Hall Medical Center, Texas
2000 Air War College via seminar
2006 Interagency Institute for Federal Healthcare Executive, George Washington University, Washington, D.C.
2007 Distinguished graduate, Master of Science degree in national resource strategy, Industrial College of the Armed Forces (ICAF), Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
1. August 1986 - July 1989, staff dental officer, 2nd Strategic Air Wing Hospital, Barksdale AFB, La.
2. July 1989 - October 1993, staff dental officer, 48th Tactical Fighter Wing Hospital, RAF Lakenheath, U.K.
3. October 1993 - July 1994, staff dental officer, 59th Medical Wing, Lackland AFB, Texas
4. July 1994 - July 1996, resident, Advanced Comprehensive General Dentistry, 59th Medical Wing, Lackland AFB, Texas
5. July 1996 - July 1997, element chief, general dentistry department, 436th Dental Squadron, Dover AFB, Del.
6. July 1997 - July 1999, deputy squadron commander, clinical dentistry flight commander, chief, East Coast Port Mortuary Forensic Dental Service, 436th Dental Squadron, Dover AFB, Del.
7. July 1999 - July 2000, assistant director, advanced education general dentistry residency, Langley AFB, Va.
8. July 2000 - July 2004, residency flight commander and director, advanced education general dentistry residency, Langley AFB, Va.
9. July 2004 - July 2006, commander, 355th Dental Squadron, Davis-Monthan AFB, Ariz.
10. July 2006 - July 2007, student, National Defense University, Industrial College Armed Forces, National Defense University, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
11. July 2007 - present, commander, 5th Medical Group, Minot AFB, N.D.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Joint Services Commendation Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Recognition Medal (Junior Dental Officer of the Year)
National Defense Service Medal with one service star
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
Southwest Asia Service Medal with one service star
Global War on Terrorism - Expeditionary Medal
Humanitarian Service Medal with one service star
Air Force Junior Dental Officer of the Year 1997
Major General Harold Mashburn Excellence in Leadership Award, 2007 ICAF
PROFESSION MEMBERSHIPS AND ASSOCIATIONS
Master, Academy of General Dentistry
Fellow, International College of Dentists
Fellow, American Board of General Dentistry
Fellow-candidate, American College of Dentistry
Member, American Dental Association, former AF delegate
Member, National Dental Association
Member, Association of Military Surgeons United States
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Captain May 11, 1986
Major May 11, 1992
Lt Colonel May 11, 1998
Colonel May 11, 2004
(Current as of July 2007)