Colonel Donald E. "Gene" Kirkland commands the 5th Maintenance Group at Minot Air Force Base, North Dakota. He is responsible for all aircraft maintenance and combat generation operations for the 5th Bomb Wing's 35 B-52H Stratofortress aircraft as well as all weapons maintenance for the 91st Space Wing's Minuteman III intercontinental ballistic missiles. He commands 1,200 maintenance, weapons, munitions and support personnel.
Colonel Kirkland entered the Air Force in 1988 through Officer Training School. He is a career aircraft and munitions maintenance officer and completed a broadening tour in logistics plans. He also has served on the J-4 logistics staffs at United States Central Command and The Joint Staff.
1987 Bachelor of Science degree in Physics, University of Florida
1990 Master of Science degree in Administration, Central Michigan University
1994 Squadron Officer School (distinguished graduate)
1999 Air Command and Staff College (correspondence)
2000 College of Naval Command and Staff (distinguished graduate)
2000 Master of Arts degree in National Security and Strategic Studies, U.S. Naval War College
2002 Department of Defense Executive Leadership Development Program
2004 Air War College (correspondence)
2006 Industrial College of the Armed Forces
2006 Master of Science degree in National Resource Strategy, National Defense University
1. March 1988 - June 1988, Student, Munitions Officer Course, Lowry AFB, Colo.
2. June 1988 - September 1990, various munitions officer positions, 5th Munitions Maintenance Squadron, Minot AFB, N.D.
3. October 1990 - March 1991, Officer in Charge, Munitions Branch, 51st Equipment Maintenance Squadron, Osan Air Base, Republic of Korea
4. April 1991 - October 1991, Assistant Officer in Charge, 19th Aircraft Maintenance Unit, 36th Aircraft Generation Squadron, Osan Air Base, ROK
5. October 1991 - April 1993, Officer in Charge, Munitions Flight, 96th Maintenance Squadron, Dyess AFB, Texas
6. May 1993 - October 1993, Maintenance Supervisor, 96th Maintenance Squadron, Dyess AFB, Texas
7. October 1993 - May 1994, Chief, Quality Assurance, 7th Logistics Group, Dyess AFB, Texas
8. June 1994 - July 1994, Student, Logistics Plans Officer Course, Lackland AFB, Texas
9. August 1994 - April 1995, Deputy Chief, Logistics Plans Flight, 3d Logistics Support Squadron, Elmendorf AFB, Alaska
10. May 1995 - May 1997, Chief, Logistics Plans Flight, 3d Logistics Support Squadron, Elmendorf AFB, Alaska
11. June 1997 - July 1999, Joint Munitions Staff Officer, J4, Directorate of Logistics, United States Central Command, MacDill Air Force Base, Fla.
12. August 1999 - June 2000, Student, College of Naval Command and Staff, Newport, R.I.
13. June 2000 - May 2002, Commander, 28th Munitions Squadron, Ellsworth Air Force Base, S.D.
14. May 2002 - May 2004, Staff Officer, J4, Directorate of Logistics, The Joint Staff, Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
15. May 2004 - July 2005, Chief, Readiness Branch, J4, Directorate of Logistics, The Joint Staff, Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
16. August 2005 - June 2006, Student, Industrial College of the Armed Forces, Fort McNair, Washington, D.C.
17. June 2006 - June 2007, Deputy Commander, 379th Expeditionary Maintenance Group, Al Udeid Air Base, Qatar
18. July 2007 - October 2007, Chief, Munitions Division, A4, Directorate of Logistics, Headquarters Air Combat Command, Langley Air Force Base, Va.
19. November 2007 - Present, Commander, 5th Maintenance Group, Minot Air Force Base, N.D.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Bronze Star Medal
Defense Meritorious Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Joint Service Commendation Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Joint Service Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Feb. 23, 1988
First Lieutenant Feb. 23, 1990
Captain Feb. 23, 1992
Major July 1, 1999
Lieutenant Colonel March 1, 2002
Colonel Aug. 1, 2007
(Current as of November 2007)