Colonel Robert M. Walker is the 91st Operations Group commander, Minot Air Force Base, N.D. As commander, he is responsible for the safe, effective operation and maintenance of 150 Minuteman III intercontinental ballistic missiles from 15 remote missile alert facilities and seven UH-IN aircraft used in support of missile field activities dispersed over 8,500 square miles.
Colonel Walker entered the Air Force as a graduate of the Basic Military Training School in August 1981. He was selected to attend Officer Training School and was commissioned a second lieutenant in July 1987. He has served in a number of operations and staff positions to include test and evaluation, officer assignments and joint operations. His test and evaluation experience includes assignment to Vandenberg AFB, Calif., in Strategic Air Command's TOP HAND program. As Chief of the Space and Missile Officer Assignment Team, Air Force Personnel Center, Randolph AFB, Texas, he led the Space and Missile career field during the most dramatic period in career field history.
His operational experience includes missile combat crew duty at Whiteman AFB, Mo.; a tour of duty in the National Military Command Center (NMCC), Pentagon, Washington, D.C., in space operations, nuclear command and control, contingency operations and as Single Integrated Operational Plan (SIOP) advisor to the deputy director for operations, NMCC; as commander of the "First Aces," 10th Missile Squadron, Malmstrom AFB, Mont.; and as deputy commander, 460th Operations Group, Buckley AFB, Colo. Colonel Walker is a fully qualified joint specialty officer. Prior to assuming his current position, he was the Chief of the Operationally Responsive Space Division, Directorate of Requirements, Headquarters Air Force Space Command.
1987 Bachelor's degree in business administration, Columbia College, Columbia, Mo.
1987 Distinguished Graduate, Missile Combat Crew Initial Qualification Training, Vandenberg AFB, Calif.
1994 Squadron Officer School, by correspondence
1994 Distinguished Graduate, Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1999 Master of National Security and Strategic Studies Degree, Naval War College, NAS Newport, R.I.
1999 College of Naval Command and Staff, NAS Newport, R.I.
2003 Air War College, by seminar
2006 Master of Strategic Studies Degree, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2006 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2008 Joint and Combined Warfighting School, Norfolk, Va.
1. August 1981 - September 1981, student, Basic Military Training School, Lackland Air Force Base, Texas
2. September 1981 - December 1981, student, Keesler Technical Training Center, Keesler Air Force Base, Miss.
3. December 1981 - April 1987, personnel technician, Headquarters Air Reserve Personnel Center, Lowry Air Force Base, Colo.
4. April 1987 - July 1987, student, Officer Training School, Lackland Air Force Base, Texas
5. August 1987 - December 1987, student, 4315th Combat Crew Training Squadron, Vandenberg Air Force Base, Calif.
6. December 1987 - February 1992, missile combat crewmember, 351st Strategic Missile Wing, Whiteman Air Force Base, Mo.
7. February 1992 - April 1995, ICBM Test Operations Officer (TOP HAND), 576th Flight Test Squadron, Vandenberg Air Force Base, Calif.
8. April 1995 - July 1998, space and missile assignments officer, Headquarters Air Force Personnel Center, Randolph Air Force Base, Texas
9. April 1995 - July 1998, student, College of Naval Command and Staff, Naval Air Station Newport, R.I.
10. July 1998 - June 2002, operations officer, Operations Directorate, The Joint Staff, Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
11. June 2002 - February 2004, commander, 10th Missile Squadron, 341st Space Wing, Malmstrom Air Force Base, Mont.
12. February 2004 - August 2004, director, Space-Based Infrared System Site Activation Task Force, 460th Air Base Wing, Buckley Air Force Base, Colo.
13. August 2004 - November 2005, Deputy Commander, 460th Operations Group, Buckley Air Force Base, Colo.
14. December 2005 - December 2006, student, Air War College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
15. January 2007 - January 2009, Chief, Operationally Responsive Space Division, Directorate of Plans and Requirements, HQ Air Force Space Command, Peterson Air Force Base, Colo.
16. January 2009 - present, commander, 91st Operations Group, Minot Air Force Base, N.D.
MISSILE AND SPACE INFORMATION:
Command Space Badge
Master Missile Badge
Minuteman II weapon system
Minuteman III weapon system
Defense Support Program weapon system
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS:
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Combat Readiness Medal with one oak leaf cluster
National Defense Service Medal with bronze star
1984 Aurora, Colo., Chamber of Commerce Outstanding Military Person of the Year
1990 351st Strategic Missile Wing ICBM Combat Crew of the Year
1990 Olympic Arena, Best ICBM Combat Crew in Strategic Air Command
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION:
Second Lieutenant July 22, 1987
First Lieutenant July 22, 1989
Captain July 22, 1991
Major Sept. 1, 1997
Lieutenant Colonel Feb. 1, 2002
Colonel July 1, 2007
(Current as of January 2009)