Colonel Stephen L. Davis commands the 91st Missile Wing at Minot Air Force Base, N.D. where he leads more than 1,600 Air Force Airmen in support of the nation's land-based intercontinental ballistic missile force. The wing operates, maintains and secures 150 Minuteman III ICBMs, 15 missile alert facilities and 150 remote launch facilities covering an 8,500-square mile area in central North Dakota. The wing also maintains and operates eight UH-1N helicopters in support of missile field security. The wing provides global deterrence and defends America with the world's premier combat-ready ICBM force.
Colonel Davis earned his commission through the Air Force Officers' Training School in 1989. He has served in a variety of assignments including ICBM and space operations, staff duty at Headquarters Air Force Space Command, Headquarters Air Force and Headquarters United States Strategic Command. Colonel Davis has also commanded the nation's only ICBM test squadron and more recently led the development and stand-up of United States Cyber Command. Prior to his current assignment, Colonel Davis was the Vice Commander, 341st Missile Wing, Malmstrom AFB, Mont.
1989 Bachelor of Arts degree in economics, Wright State University, Dayton, Ohio.
1994 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1997 Masters of Business Administration, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, Daytona Beach, Fla.
2002 Masters of Military Studies, Marine Command and Staff College, Marine Corps University, Quantico, Va.
2003 Master of Airpower Art and Science degree, School of Advanced Airpower Studies, Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2008 National Defense Fellow, The Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy, Tufts University, Medford, Mass.
1. December 1989 - March 1990, student, Undergraduate Missile Training, Vandenberg AFB, Calif.
2. May 1990 - November 1994, Minuteman III combat crew member, senior evaluator crew commander, and Chief Stan/Eval, 321st Strategic Missile Wing, Grand Forks AFB, N.D.
3. December 1994 - October 1997, ICBM Test operations officer, TOP HAND, 576th Flight Test Squadron, Vandenberg AFB, Calif.
4. November 1997 - June 1999, staff officer, Missile Operations and Future Concepts Division, Directorate of Operations, Headquarters Air Force Space Command, Peterson AFB, Colo.
5. July 1999 - October 2000, executive officer to the Director of Staff, Headquarters Air Force Space Command, Peterson AFB, Colo.
6. November 2000 - June 2001, flight commander, 11th Space Warning Squadron, 21st Space Wing, Schriever AFB, Colo.
7. July 2001 - June 2002, student, Marine Corps Command and Staff College, Quantico, Va.
8. July 2002 - June 2003, student, School of Advanced Airpower Studies, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
9. July 2003 - May 2004, chief of Strategy, Concept Development & Strategy Division, Air & Space Operations, Headquarters Air Force, Washington, D.C.
10. June 2004 - November 2004, Joint Staff Secretary and Deputy Chief of Staff for Personnel (J1), Iraq Survey Group, Multi-National Forces - Iraq, Baghdad, Iraq
11. December 2004 -June 2005, deputy chief, Aerospace Expeditionary Force Policy Division, Air & Space Operations, Headquarters Air Force, Washington, D.C.
12. June 2005 - June 2007, Commander, 576th Flight Test Squadron, Vandenberg AFB, Calif.
13. July 2007 - July 2008, National Defense Fellow, Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy, Tufts University, Medford, Mass.
14. August 2008 - June 2009, Chief NIGHT FIST Division, Global Innovation and Strategy Center, United States Strategic Command, Omaha, Neb.
15. July 2009 - July 2010, Chief, Operations Plans Division, Global Operations Directorate, and Chief of Staff, United States Cyber Command Planning and Implementation Team, United States Strategic Command, Omaha, Neb.
16. July 2010 - May 2011, Vice Commander, 341st Missile Wing, Malmstrom AFB, Mont.
17. June 2011-present, Commander, 91st Missile Wing, Minot AFB, N.D.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Defense Meritorious Service Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Joint Service Commendation Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal
Combat Readiness Medal with oak leaf cluster
Iraq Campaign Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF RANK
Second Lieutenant Dec. 22, 1989
First Lieutenant Dec. 22, 1991
Captain Dec. 22, 1993
Major Jun. 1, 2001
Lieutenant Colonel Apr. 1, 2004
Colonel Oct. 1, 2008
(Current as of June 2011)