Col. Andrew Kovich is the Commander, 91st Maintenance Group, Minot, ND and is responsible for maintaining and sustaining 150 Minuteman III ICBMs and launch facilities and 15 launch control facilities and leads a workforce of over 400 maintainers.
Col. Kovich entered the Air Force as a Distinguished Graduate through the Reserve Officer Training Corps program. During his career, he has held a wide variety of leadership positions in space/missile operations and ICBM maintenance. He served as an ICBM crew commander, crew instructor, senior standardization/evaluation crew commander, maintenance flight commander, space flight commander, chief, standardization/evaluation, maintenance operations officer, and Commander, 90th Maintenance Operations Squadron. He has also previously served on the Joint Staff, U.S. Strategic Command, and Twentieth Air Force staffs as an Executive Assistant, Chief, Nuclear Strike Branch, ICBM Strike Planner, Policy/Doctrine Officer, and Chief, Emergency War Order Plans and Procedures.
In his previous assignment, Col. Kovich served as the Deputy Director of Operations, Twentieth Air Force, F. E. Warren AFB, WY.
EDUCATION AND TRAINING:
1991 Bachelor of Science degree in Secondary Education, Bowling Green State University, Ohio
1997 Master of Science in General Administration/Human Resource Management, Central Michigan
1997 Squadron Officers School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2002 Air Command and Staff College, Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2005 Air Command and Staff College, Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2005 Master of Military Operational Art and Science, Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2007 Air War College, Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2010 National Defense Fellow, The Henry L. Stimson Center, Washington D.C.
2010 Master of Arts degree in International Affairs and Conflict Resolution, American Military University,
2011 Joint Forces Staff College, Norfolk NS, Va.
1. June 1992 - April 1996, crew commander, crew instructor, senior standardization/evaluation crew
commander, 742nd Missile Squadron, 741st Missile Squadron, 91st Operations Support Squadron, and
91st Operations Group, 91st Missile Wing, Minot AFB N.D.
2. May 1996 - June 1998, Chief, missile maintenance team section, logistics operation flight commander,
and logistics training flight commander, 91st Maintenance Squadron and 91st Logistics Support
Squadron, 91st Missile Wing, Minot AFB, N.D.
3. July 1998 - June 2001, flight commander, Standardization/Evaluation, Chief,
Standardization/Evaluation, 3rd Space Communications Squadron. Kapaun AS, Germany
4. July 2001 - July 2004, executive officer, policy/doctrine officer and ICBM strike planner, United States
Strategic Command, Offutt AFB, Neb.
5. August 2004 - July 2005, student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
6. July 2005 - June 2006, Chief, Emergency War Order Plans and Procedures, Twentieth Air Force, F. E.
Warren AFB, Wyo.
7. July 2006 - June 2007, maintenance operations officer, 90th Maintenance Operations Squadron, 90th
Missile Wing, F. E. Warren AFB, Wyo.
8. June 2007 - June 2009, Commander, 90th Maintenance Operations Squadron, 90th Missile Wing, F. E.
Warren AFB, Wyo.
9. July 2009 - June 2010, National Defense Fellow, The Henry L. Stimson Center, Washington D.C.
10. June 2010 - June 2012, executive assistant and chief, Nuclear Strike Branch, Deputy Directorate for
Command, Control, and Nuclear Operations (J36), Operations Directorate, The Joint Staff, Pentagon,
11. June 2012 - November 2012, Deputy Director for Operations, Twentieth Air Force, F. E. Warren AFB,
12. November 2012 - Present, Commander, 91st Maintenance Group, Minot AFB, N.D.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS:
Defense Meritorious Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
Joint Meritorious Unit Award with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with six oak leaf clusters
Combat Readiness Medal
Air Force Recognition Ribbon with two oak leaf clusters
National Defense Service Medal with Service Star
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Armed Forces Service Medal
Air & Space Campaign Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION:
Second Lieutenant May 11, 1991
First Lieutenant Sep. 6, 1993
Captain Sep. 6, 1995
Major Jun. 1, 2002
Lieutenant Colonel Jun. 1, 2007
Colonel Nov. 13, 2012
(Current as of November 2012)