Colonel Alexis Mezynski is commander of the 5th Bomb Wing, Minot Air Force Base, N.D. He is responsible for providing combat-ready B-52H Stratofortress aircraft, crews, and associated combat support for deterrence, crisis response, global power projection, major theater war and maritime operations and Air and Space Expeditionary Force deployments. He also serves as the installation commander.
Colonel Mezynski, a Butler, Pa. native, received his commission from the United States Air Force Academy in June 1993. He earned his wings at Columbus AFB, Miss. in September 1995 and has flying experience in the B-52, B-2, B-1, T-1 and T-38. He has served in numerous squadron leadership positions including Commander, 394th Combat Training Squadron, Whiteman AFB, Mo. He has also served on a NATO staff as the Executive Officer for the Operational Preparation Directorate in Oeiras, Portugal.
Colonel Mezynski is a command pilot with more than 2,900 hours, and has flown combat missions during Operation Iraqi Freedom. Prior to his current position, the colonel was the vice commander, 2d Bomb Wing, Barksdale AFB, La.
1993 Bachelor of Science degree in Aeronautical Engineering, US Air Force Academy, Colo.
1994 Master of Science degree in Mechanical Engineering, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, Va.
2000 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2003 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2004 USAF Weapons School, Whiteman AFB, Mo.
2007 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2007 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2012 Naval War College, Newport, R.I.
1. September 1993 to August 1994, graduate student, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, Va.
2. September 1994 to September 1995, student, Undergraduate Pilot Training, 14th Flying Training Wing, Columbus AFB, Miss.
3. October 1995 to March 1996, student, B-1B Initial Qualification Course, 28th Bomb Squadron, Dyess AFB, Texas
4. April 1996 to September 1998, B-1B pilot and aircraft commander, 9th Bomb Squadron, Dyess AFB, Texas
5. October 1998 to January 1999, student, T-1 Pilot Instructor Training, 99th Flying Training Squadron, Randolph AFB, Texas
6. February 1999 to June 2000, T-1 instructor pilot, 32nd Flying Training Squadron, Vance AFB, Okla.
7. July 2000 to February 2001, student, B-2 Initial Qualification Course, 394th Combat Training Squadron, Whiteman AFB, Mo.
8. March 2001 to April 2003, B-2 flight commander, B-2 Pilot, B-2 Instructor Pilot, 393rd Bomb Squadron, Whiteman AFB, Mo.
9. April 2003 to December 2003, Wing Weapons flight chief, 509th Operations Support Squadron, Whiteman AFB, Mo.
10. January 2004 to June 2004, student, USAF Weapons School, Whiteman AFB, Mo.
11. July 2004 to June 2005, Assistant Director of Operations and Mission Planning Cell chief, 509 Operations Support Squadron, Whiteman AFB, Mo.
12. July 2005 to June 2006, Assistant Director of Operations and B-2 weapons instructor pilot, 325th Weapons Squadron, Whiteman AFB, Mo.
13. July 2006 to July 2007, student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
14. August 2007 to July 2009, Executive Officer to Director, Operational Preparation Directorate, Oeiras, Portugal
15. August 2009 to May 2010, Director of Operations, 394th Combat Training Squadron, Whiteman AFB, Mo.
16. May 2010 to June 2011, Commander, 394th Combat Training Squadron, Whiteman AFB, Mo.
17. July 2011 to June 2012, student, Naval War College, Newport, R.I.
18. July 2012 to January 2013, Vice Commander, 2d Bomb Wing, Barksdale AFB, La.
19. January 2013 to Present, Commander, 5th Bomb Wing, Minot AFB, N.D.
Rating: Command Pilot
Flight hours: More than 2,900
Aircraft flown: T-37, T-38, B-1B, T-1, B-2 and B-52
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with 3 oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with 1 oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal
Air Force Combat Action Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Jun. 1, 1993
First Lieutenant Jun. 1, 1995
Captain Jun. 1, 1997
Major Aug. 1, 2003
Lieutenant Colonel Sep. 1, 2007
Colonel Jun. 1, 2012
(Current as of January 2013)