Colonel Thomas A. Rudy is the vice commander of the 91st Missile Wing, Minot Air Force Base, North Dakota. As the vice commander, he is responsible for the safe and effective operation, maintenance, and security of 150 Minutemen III intercontinental ballistic missiles (ICBMs) from 15 remote missile alert facilities and eight UH-1N Huey aircraft used in support of missile field activities dispersed over 8,500 square miles. The wing provides global deterrence by defending America with the world's premier combat-ready ICBM force.
Colonel Rudy entered the Air Force as a distinguished graduate of the Air Force Reserve Officer Training Corps program at Angelo State University in 1991. He has served in a variety of operational ICBM assignments and staff duty at 20th Air Force, Air Force Space Command, and the Air Staff. He also evaluated and certified warning and control elements of the integrated tactical warning and attack assessment system for U.S. Space Command and North American Aerospace Defense Command. As commander of the 313th Recruiting Squadron, he was responsible for accessing qualified men and women throughout the state of New York to meet the personnel procurement requirements of today's and tomorrow's highly technological Air Force. Additionally, he served as the deputy commander of the 341st Operations Group at Malmstrom Air Force Base, Montana. Prior to his current assignment, Colonel Rudy attended U.S. Army War College at Carlisle Barracks, Pennsylvania.
1991 Bachelor of Business Administration degree in business, Angelo State University, San Angelo, Tex.
1995 Master of Aeronautical Science degree in management, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, Malmstrom AFB, Mont.
1996 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2003 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
2006 Master of Military Operational Art and Science degree, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2007 Air War College, by correspondence
2013 Master of Strategic Studies degree, U.S. Army War College, Carlisle Barracks, Pa.
1. August 1992 - December 1992, Student, 4315th Combat Crew Training Squadron, Vandenberg AFB, Calif.
2. December 1992 - January 1997, Minuteman ICBM Deputy Crew Commander, Instructor and Evaluator Deputy Crew Commander, Crew Commander, Flight Leader, Evaluator Crew Commander, and Wing Senior Evaluator Crew Commander, 341st Operations Group, Malmstrom AFB, Mont.
3. January 1997 - November 1999, ICBM Test Programs Officer, Target Programs Officer, and Employment Officer, 625th Missile Operations Flight, 20th Air Force, Offutt AFB, Neb.
4. November 1999 - September 2001, Theater System Certification Officer and Chief, Space Warning and Control Section, Directorate, Communications and Information, Headquarters Air Force Space Command, Peterson AFB, Colo.
5. October 2001 - September 2002, Chief, ICBM Command, Control, and Communications, Directorate of Operations, Air Force Space Command, Peterson AFB, Colo.
6. September 2002 - August 2003, ICBM Current Operations Flight Commander, 90th Operations Support Squadron, F.E. Warren AFB, Wyo.
7. August 2003 - August 2004, Chief, Emergency War Order Plans and Procedures, 20th Air Force, F.E. Warren AFB, Wyo.
8. August 2004 - July 2005, Deputy Director of Safety and Nuclear Surety, 20th Air Force, F.E. Warren AFB, Wyo.
9. August 2005 - June 2006, Student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
10. July 2006 - June 2008, Chief, Nuclear Surety Division, Directorate of Nuclear Operations, Plans and Requirements, Deputy Chief of Staff, Operations, Plans, & Requirements, Headquarters Air Force, Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
11. July 2008 - June 2010, Commander, 313th Recruiting Squadron, North Syracuse, N.Y.
12. June 2010 - June 2012, Deputy Commander, 341st Operations Group, Malmstrom AFB, Mont.
13. July 2012 - June 2013, Student, U.S. Army War College, Carlisle Barracks, Pa.
14. June 2013 - Present, Vice Commander, 91st Missile Wing, Minot AFB, N.D.
Master Missile Badge with Operations Designator
Command Space Badge
Headquarters Air Staff Badge
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Combat Readiness Medal
National Defense Service Medal with bronze star
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Oct. 6, 1991
First Lieutenant Oct. 6, 1993
Captain Oct. 6, 1995
Major July 1, 2002
Lieutenant Colonel July 1, 2007
Colonel April 1, 2013
(Current as of June 2013)