Colonel Scott H. Maytan is the Commander of the 5th Operations Group where he trains combat-ready Airmen and develops future Air Force leaders who supply B-52 strategic capability to the nation. The group is an elite team that provides full-spectrum deterrence, supports mission execution for both the 5th Bomb Wing and the 91st Missile Wing and when required, delivers lethal bomber firepower anywhere on the globe.
Colonel Maytan entered military service in 1993 with the Minnesota Air National Guard. After graduating from the University of Minnesota, he commissioned through Officer Training School in 1996 and has held a variety of flying, leadership, staff and joint officer assignments. He is a master navigator with over 2,600 flight hours in Air Force and joint aircraft, primarily the B-52, and has flown combat missions during Operations DESERT FOX (SOUTHERN WATCH), ALLIED FORCE and IRAQI FREEDOM.
1995 Bachelor of Civil Engineering, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, Minn.
2002 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2002 United States Air Force Weapons School, Nellis AFB, Nev.
2005 Master of Science, Human Resources, Central Michigan University, Mount Pleasant, Mich.
2006 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2007 United States Army Command and General Staff College, Fort Leavenworth, Kan.
2010 Master of Arts, Military History, Norwich University, Northfield, Vt.
2011 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2016 Air Force Fellow, Freeman Spogli Institute, Stanford University, Stanford, Calif.
2017 Department of Defense Joint Inspector General Course, Alexandria, Va.
2018 Joint and Combined Warfighting School, Norfolk, Va.
1. March 1993 – November 1995, Enlisted, Minnesota Air National Guard, Minneapolis, Minn.
2. November 1995 – March 1996, Candidate, Officer training school, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
3. March 1996 – July 1997, Student, Joint Undergraduate Navigator Training, NAS Pensacola, Fla.
4. July 1997 – June 1998, Student, B-52H Initial Training, Barksdale AFB, La.
5. June 1998 – August 2001, Navigator, Radar Navigator, 23d Bomb Squadron, Minot AFB, N.D.
6. August 2001 – October 2004, Instructor Radar Navigator, Weapons Officer, Flight Commander, Wing Weapons Officer, 5th Operations Support Squadron, Minot AFB, N.D.
7. October 2004 – January 2007, Weapons Instructor, Flight Commander, Assistant Operations Officer, 340th Weapons Squadron, Barksdale AFB, La.
8. January 2007 – December 2007, Student, United States Army Command and General Staff College, Fort Leavenworth, Kan.
9. January 2008 – December 2008, Chief of Global Attack Capability, Deputy Chief of Staff for Operational Capability Requirements, Headquarters Air Force, Washington, D.C.
10. December 2008 – January 2011, Chief of Aircraft Nuclear Requirements, Assistant Chief of Staff for Strategic Deterrence and Nuclear Integration, Headquarters Air Force, Washington, D.C.
11. January 2011 – July 2012, Director of Operations, 69th Bomb Squadron, Minot AFB, N.D.
12. August 2012 – June 2013, Chief of Safety, 5th Bomb Wing, Minot AFB, N.D.
13. August 2013 – June 2015, Commander, 20th Bomb Squadron, Barksdale AFB, La.
14. July 2015 – June 2016, Fellow, Freeman Spogli Institute, Stanford University, Stanford, Calif.
15. July 2016 – May 2017, Chief of Air-Delivered Capabilities, Capability and Resource Integration Directorate, United States Strategic Command, Offutt AFB, Neb.
16. June 2017 – June 2018, Inspector General, United States Strategic Command, Offutt AFB, Neb.
17. July 2018 – present, Commander, 5th Operations Group, Minot AFB, N.D.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. July 2016 – May 2017, Chief of Air-Delivered Capabilities, Capability and Resource Integration Directorate, United States Strategic Command, Offutt AFB, Neb., as a lieutenant colonel.
2. June 2017 – June 2018, Inspector General, United States Strategic Command, Offutt AFB, Neb., as a colonel.
Rating: master navigator
Flight hours: 2,620
Aircraft flown: T-34C, T-1, T-39 and B-52H
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal
Joint Service Achievement Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant March 15, 1996
First Lieutenant March 15, 1998
Captain March 15, 2000
Major March 1, 2006
Lieutenant Colonel March 1, 2011
Colonel June 1, 2017
(current as of November 2018)