Col. Sloan L. Hollis is Vice Commander of the 5th Bomb Wing, Minot Air Force Base, North Dakota. As Vice Commander, he is responsible for the health and welfare of roughly 4,900 active duty members, 500 civilian employees, and 6,000 family members. He also assists with overseeing operations involving the wing's fleet of B-52 bombers to provide deterrence and long-range strike capability for combatant command operations worldwide.
1997 Bachelor of Science, General Engineering, U. S. Air Force Academy, Colo.
2001 Squadron Officers’ School, Maxwell Air Force Base (AFB), Ala.
2007 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2007 Master of Education, Touro University International, Calif.
2010 Master of Science Degree in Military Operational Art and Science, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2011 Joint and Combined Warfighting School, Joint Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va.
2012 Air War College, by correspondence, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2016 Master of Strategic Studies Degree, United States Army War College, Carlisle Barracks, Pa.
1. Jul 1997 – Jul 1997, Student, Joint Undergraduate Pilot Training, Columbus Air Force Base (AFB), Miss.
2. Aug 1998 – Dec 1998, Student, T-37 Pilot Instructor Training, 559th Flying Training Squadron, Randolph AFB, Texas
3. Dec 1998 – Jan 2002, T-37 Instructor Pilot, Scheduler, and Assistant Flight Commander, 84th Flying Training Squadron, Laughlin AFB, Texas
4. Jan 2002 – Aug 2002, Student, B-1B Initial Qualification Training, Dyess AFB, Texas
5. Aug 2002 – Dec 2005, B-1B Instructor Pilot, Chief of Squadron Safety, and Flight Commander, 34th Bomb Squadron, Ellsworth AFB, S.D.
6. Jan 2006 – Jun 2006, Student, B-1B Weapons Instructor Course, 77th Weapons Squadron, Dyess AFB, Texas
7. Jun 2006 – Nov 2008, B-1B Instructor/Evaluator Pilot, Chief of Squadron Weapons and Tactics, and Assistant Director of Operations, 37th Bomb Squadron, Ellsworth AFB, S.D.
8. Nov 2008 – Jul 2009, Chief of Wing Weapons and Tactics, 28th Operations Support Squadron, Ellsworth AFB, S.D.
9. Aug 2009 – Jun 2010, Student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
10. Jul 2010 – Jul 2012, Assistant Officer in Charge and Director, Joint Targeting School, Naval Air Station Oceana Dam Neck Annex, Va.
11. Aug 2012 – May 2013, Director of Operations, 37th Bomb Squadron, Ellsworth AFB, S.D.
12. Jun 2013 – May 2014, Commander, 379th Expeditionary Operations Support Squadron, Al Udeid Air Base, Qatar
13. May 2014 – Jul 2016, Commander, Cadet Group 3, U. S. Air Force Academy, Colo.
14. Jul 2016 – Jun 2017, Student, United States Army War College, Carlisle Barracks, Pa.
15. Aug 2017 – Present, Vice Commander, 5th Bomb Wing, Minot AFB, N.D.
Rating: Command Pilot
Flight Hours: More than 5500, including more than 1800 combat hours
Aircraft Flown: T-37, T-53, B-1B, and B-52H
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Distinguished Flying Cross
Bronze Star Medal
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with five oak leaf clusters
Air Achievement Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Combat Action Medal
DATES OF PROMOTIONS
Second Lieutenant 28 May 1997
First Lieutenant 28 May 1999
Captain 28 May 2001
Major 1 Jan 2007
Lieutenant Colonel 1 Dec 2011
Colonel 1 Jun 2016
(Current as of 18 Aug 17)